Friday, November 4, 2011

A Month of Thankfulness: Day Four - My Friend K.

I'll get to my friends in general later in the month, but my friend K* is someone who I feel a special type of thankful for.  My friend K is both autistic and epileptic (my NaNoWriMo-fried brain tried to turn that into eclectic which isn't necessarily wrong but certainly irrelevant) and 100% awesome.

Why I am Thankful:

  • She sometimes makes me uncomfortable, in that way that means my brain hasn't finished processing yet
  • She has helped me to understand the concept of privilege and what that means in relation to my life
  • She sometimes makes me uncomfortable, in that way that means I failed the privilege check
  • My vocabulary has grown to include words that I never before had a concept for
  • She has widened my awareness of the world and the many things I take for granted
  • She inspires me to become better educated about the challenges of the people around me
  • She inspires me to be a better friend
  • She inspires me by knowing who she is and not changing despite strong pressure to be someone or something else
  • I have learned new and awesome signs as well as exploring a new category of insults for the ignorant and ill-behaved
  • She inspires me to be a better person and (perhaps much to her dismay) a better Christian
There are probably still more reasons that I am thankful to be a friend of K's but these are good ones and important ones.  The most important thing is that I am thankful.

*Name withheld, at least temporarily

No comments:

Post a Comment