Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Review: Spellwright by Blake Charlton


Spellwright is part of a new generation of epic fantasy novels. Charlton painstakingly crafts a world with a fresh inventive magic system, a myriad of languages, and a prophecy that every faction is interpreting for their own purposes. Nicodemus is a cacographer and the apprentice to a great wizard. His cacography is the magical equivalent of dyslexia and motivates him to search for the solution to his difficulties with magic.

I found this novel to have a slow start which is common with novels that require lots of background and world-building, however it took awhile into the book to really build that connection with the characters. I will definitely say though, that once I reached a certain point Spellwright transformed into one of those books that you can’t put down even though you should have gone to bed two hours ago. I definitely enjoyed the innovative approach to the magic system and how language influenced the spell work. I’m definitely intrigued by Language Prime and I can’t wait to see how it continues to change and effect Nicodemus in the books to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment