Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Review: I Loved Jesus in the Night: Teresa of Calcutta – A Secret Revealed by Paul Murray

This book was one of my rare forays into the realm of non-fiction. It was an interesting look into the spiritual struggles of the well-known religious figure, Mother Teresa. I found the description of her feelings of being abandoned by God and how she dealt with those feelings to be really inspiring. The excerpts from letters written by Mother Teresa herself were really interesting to read and gave a better picture of who she was as a complete person. It was certainly inspiring to read about how Mother Teresa dealt with her own Dark Night of the Soul and what form that took for her.

“Remember that the passion of Christ ends always in the joy of Resurrection, so when you feel in your own heart the suffering of Christ, remember the Resurrection has to come, the joy of Easter has to dawn. Never let anything so fill you with sorrow as to make you forget the joy of the Risen Christ!” - Teresa of Calcutta


Unfortunately, I found the writing style of the author to be one that didn’t mesh well with my reading style. One of the biggest issues I had with the book was that it wasn’t until halfway through that Murray established that his intimate knowledge of Mother Teresa’s struggles came from his time as the Father Confessor at the convent. I had a hard time getting through the book but overall I don’t regret the time that I spent reading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment