Friday, March 4, 2011

Review: Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins


Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
Scholastic Press, 2010
Genre: Young Adult Science Fiction

Official Description:
Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has survived the Hunger Games twice. But now that she's made it out of the bloody arena alive, she's still not safe. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge. Who do they think should pay for the unrest? Katniss. And what's worse, President Snow has made it clear that no one else is safe either. Not Katniss's family, not her friends, not the people of District 12. Powerful and haunting, this thrilling final installment of Suzanne Collins's groundbreaking The Hunger Games trilogy promises to be one of the most talked about books of the year.

My Thoughts:
I found Mockingjay to be a well thought out progression of events from the first two books, however this book just didn't work as well for me as the previous novels. Maybe it's because the scope is a bit wider than the previous books, or that Katniss doesn't make the transition from independence to the regimented life of District 12 very well, believable as the reaction is it makes her as the narrator a bit less likable.

Despite the parts that didn't work for me, I found the plot to be thoroughly engrossing. I liked the bits of the District 12 politics that were revealed and I thought that the ending was well thought out and provided a nice conclusion to the series.

I feel that Mockingjay was the weakest book in the series, but it is still definitely worth a read. I certainly didn't regret the time I spent with it.

Other Reviews from this Series:

Written as Part of the Speculative Fiction Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment