Monday, January 24, 2011

Steampunk Costuming: Hat-making!


Using a bit of cardboard (I used a frozen pizza box) and some felt, it was very easy to make make my own Steampunk hat!


I was inspired by this tutorial.

I really like the way that the blanket stitch around the edging ties together the whole thing so that it doesn't look like it is held together by hot glue. Plus, I think the blanket stitch is fun to do.

I decorated the resulting hat with fabric and some wire shapes, in this case copper glasses.



In the future, I think I'll try to work smaller so that the hat is better suited to my style and sits closer to my head. On this piece in particular, I'm probably going to detach it from the headband and reattach it so that it sits even on the top of the head. It's a bit large and heavy to sit at an angle.

No comments:

Post a Comment