Saturday, July 2, 2011

Editing My Writing Process

I'm working on finishing the transition from pantser to planner.  It's taken me awhile to realize that for me to write well, consistently and effectively, I need more than an idea, a set of characters, and a general overview of where they are going.  This isn't going to turn me into a rigid planner but it should give me a better framework for the type of writing I want to do.

The Plan

Build the World
  • Story Settings
  • Technology
  • History
  • Current Politics
  • Maps/Blueprints/Drawings
Build the Characters
  • Appearance
  • Personality
  • Family History
  • Significant Personal Events
Set-up the Plot
  • Major Points
  • Minor Threads
  • Character Objectives and Conflicts
  • Beginning Point and Projected End Point
  • Determine Themes/Motifs
    • Political, Social or Ethical Points of Interest
  • Identify Objectives of each Plot Point
Write the Story
  • No Stopping
  • No Editing
  • Stay true to the World and the Characters
I hope to apply this new plan of action to my existing works in progress retroactively and then move forward with what still needs to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment