Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Sourdough Starter

My new little project is a Sourdough Starter. I'm hoping to keep the starter going strong and bake fresh bread once a week. This particular starter is looking to be much better than my last attempt at a bread starter. I mixed up the starter on Saturday and it's been cheerfully doubling each day. Tomorrow will be my first attempt at baking bread with this starter. I'm looking forward to giving it a try!

Sourdough Starter Recipe

Ingredients
1 cup Flour
1 cup Warm Water

Directions
Combine the water and flour in a non-metal container with 2-3x more volume than the flour-water mixture to allow room for the starter to double. I've been using a rubbermaid plastic container and leaving the lid loose to allow the starter to breathe.

Twice a day throw away half the starter and feed it with 1/2 cup flour and 1/2 cup warm water.

No comments:

Post a Comment